Saturday, July 31, 2010

Waist size determines risk of diabetes. Yikes!!

So, I haven't been very active on my blog, but earlier this year I embarked on a weight loss journey. I learned on the Dr. Oz show that if you reduced your waistline below a certain number, you actually metabolized food differently, thus dramatically cutting your risk for pre-diabetes. It was a light bulb moment for me. I had gestational diabetes with both of my daughters, so I knew that I was high risk for pre-diabetes and the eventual disease. It seemed to be one of those inevitable things. What I didn't understand was that I actually processing food in an impaired way that made that disease more relevant than a healthy person.

What I heard on his show that got me motivated was the following,

Belly fat: A big belly is the number one risk factor in America, and Dr. Oz has a simple test to see if you have too much: "If your waist size, measured at your belly button is more than half of your height, then you've got too much belly and you're at risk for diabetes."

Pasted from <http://www.oprah.com/oprahshow/Diabetes-101-with-Dr-Oz-Dr-Ian-Smith-and-Bob-Greene/print/1

>

No comments: