Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Becoming a Vegan . . .

Wow, a lot has changed in the last couple of weeks. I've been preparing for a new fitness mode. New running shoes from The Balanced Athlete in Kent, WA. The owner is great. He watched me walk on a treadmill and I noted that I walk like a duck. My feet are flat and pronate. Fun! I also learned that I have been buying my workout shoes a size too small, which apparently accounts for my feet feeling like sleeping bricks on the elliptical machine.

I purchased a polar heart rate monitor and really realized just how out of shape I really am. It's okay . . . I'm on the path to real changes.

BUT the super huge change in my life occurred this week on Sunday - September 2nd. I adopted a vegan lifestyle for the next 30 days. I am guessing that it was the ridiculous book, Skinny Bitch, that did me in. I read Fast Food Nation a few months ago. I saw Super Size Me years ago. So, I imagine that it all just caught up with me.

In addition, I am lactose intolerant and I have Crohn's Disease, which has been causing me a little trouble recently. This was another reason to adopt a better diet.


4th DAY COMPLETED. I am very happy that it has been four days and I've made very few mistakes. I had a bite of mashed potatoes today. As I placed it on my plate, I realized that it is prepared with milk and butter. I had a bite and it was really bad. Yeah!

I've headaches (off and on) for the last two days. I'm guessing that this is my body's send-off to the missing animal products from my diet. I've read that it can take up to two weeks to get beyond the diet aspects of this lifestyle.

I ordered Becoming Vegan to help me with the transition. More to come.

The picture is from Seaside, Oregon during labor day weekend. Fun.

No comments: